Saturday, October 28, 2006

Yay for Super-Quick Baby FOs!


Besides all the obvious great reasons to have children, one definite plus is that you have at your disposal the perfect person to knit things for. Of course, I say this as a relatively new mom. I just have the one baby, Baby Girl. BUT, I must attest that so far, I've found that she is absolutely my favorite knittee. She looks great in everything I make her. No matter how hideous it turns out. She is still relatively small, so nothing takes terribly long to make. She's growing, so I always have a reason to knit another everything for her. I could go on and on.

Here's the latest quick Baby Girl FO. It's a beret of my own design, although the Husband says that it doesn't poof out enough to be a beret, so he calls it a berette. Either way, I'm really pleased with it. I added the eyelet row with the intention of adding a bow later, but I think I like it as is.

The specs:

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (one ball - not sure exactly what color)

Pattern: My own, rough pattern as follows (this is sized for a 14" baby head):

Gauge: 24 sts and 32 rows = 4" (10cm) in stockinette

Materials: US4 16" circular needle, set of 4 US4 dpns

Using circular needle, CO 84 sts. Join for knitting in the round, being careful not to twist stitches and place a marker to mark the beginning of your rounds.

Knit 5 rounds in 2x2 ribbing (aka - *K2, P2* around).
(Optional Eyelet Round) Next Round: *K2, Yrn, P2tog* around.
Knit 5 more rounds in 2x2 ribbing.
Next Round: *K2, M1* around. (126 sts)
Knit 11 rounds.
Next round: *K9, M1* around. (140 sts)
Knit 6 rounds.
Next round: *K3, K2tog* around. (112 sts)
Knit 5 rounds.
Next round: *K2, K2tog* around. (84 sts)
Knit 5 rounds.
Next round: *K1, K2tog* around. (56 sts)
Knit 5 rounds.
Next round: *k2tog* around. (28 sts)
Knit 5 rounds.
Next round: *K2tog* around. (14 sts)
Break off yarn and thread through remaining sts.