Monday, December 18, 2006

Eunny, I love you

Well, my very first stranded project is done. It was definitely a learning experience. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the result. The section that shows my lack of stranding skills the most is on the cuff of the first glove, so since I'll be wearing these with jackets and such, that section won't even show. I know that I probably should have ripped it, but since they're far from perfect I have even more of an excuse to keep them for myself.

Pattern: Endpaper Mitts

Yarn: Opal Sock Yarn Uni in 1267 (from my tea pal, Meg) and Cherry Tree Hill in Bark (leftover from the Brother Socks).

Adjustments: Well, nothing intentional. I didn't get the Italian tubular cast on. Also, I didn't have the pattern with me when I was finishing up the second mitt, so I forgot to do the set up rows before casting off. This could easily be fixed, but I'm not going to fix it.

Comments: I am in love with these mitts and absolutely in love with stranded knitting.

Usually when I'm bad at something I pretend like I don't like to do it so that I have a reason for not being good at it. For example, I'm not a very good cook. I really do enjoy cooking, but I'm always setting the timer wrong or mis-measuring ingredients or something. So, I tell people that I'm a bad cook. You know, so they don't get their expectations up. I'm also completely uncoordinated. I absolutely stink at all sports. I was always the last kid picked for any activity in gym class. I would always say that I disliked sports, but the truth is that I really do enjoy them.

BUT, I can't even pretend that I don't like stranded knitting. I love it that much. Even though I know that I'm not so good at it right now, I can't hide my adoration for this new type of knitting. So, even though there are some gifty-things that I'm supposed to be knitting, I immediately cast on for my next project, the Anemoi Mittens. I'm using Koigu Kpppm and Henry's Attic Kona Superwash. Unfortunately, I think that these two yarns might not be close enough as far as weight. I'm going to go a little further, though, before I make any decisions.