Monday, February 12, 2007

They Just Don't Understand

The non-knitters, that is. They live in our homes. They've seen the stash. They've been to the LYS. Many of them have even been to a wool festival or two, and yet somehow it's like we don't even speak the same language sometimes.

Case in Point #1: The other night, I picked up Saffy for the first time in forever. I'm working on the first sleeve. The Husband asks, "When are you going to be done with that?"

I reply, "Oh my gosh, I don't know. I'm done with the back and the two fronts, but I still have to do both sleeves. Plus, the neck and button bands. The sleeves are always the slowest part. You've lost the momentum that you had when you were knitting the other parts. Plus, I think there's some sort of mental trick going on where you think that sleeves should be quick to knit, but they really aren't... " long pause as I realize his eyes have completely glazed over.

Him, "No, I meant how much longer will you be knitting... I want you to turn the light off so that I can go to sleep."




Case in Point #2:

Normally, the Husband is the one to bring in the mail. The other day he was home for a good hour when I asked him if there was anything interesting in the mail. "Uh, well, there was something from Phildar."

Me, "And you're telling me this now?!"

I think it should be obvious that when mail comes that is in any way related to knitting, the knitter should be notified immediately upon arrival. Especially if it's coming all the way from another country. Right?