Friday, November 24, 2006

Why do batteries play such an important role in my life?

Believe it or not, despite the lack of posting, there has not been a lack of activity on this side of the computer. There has been, however, a lack of batteries. The digital camera has been out of commission for over a week (it died shortly after uploading the Baby Girl: Year One photos). Of course, as soon as it died, I had a million things that I wanted to take pictures of.

The first option I entertained was taking out the batteries of something else. The obvious targets were Baby Girl's toys. This was a failed effort. First because, like the Peek-a-Blocks: Sort & Roll School Bus, many of her toys run on D batteries. Second, the rest, like the Discovery Steering Wheel apparently are currently running on these "green" AA batteries that aren't compatible with my camera.

Then, I ordered a ton of cheapo batteries from Amazon. Got them in the mail and they're not compatible w/ my camera either!

So, today I finally decided to walk to the nearest Best Buy and buy some. Great decision, right? Battery shopping with Baby Girl on Black Friday. We nearly got run over in the parking lot about five times and then it took forever to get anywhere in the store w/ the stroller (most of the time I find that walking with a stroller gives you a certain amount of respect from other people... they are more likely to slow down when you're crossing the road... they move to the side when you're in a cramped aisle... apparently, though, all that civility goes out the door when you're competing with door-buster prices). BUT, we got it done... and now I have pictures again!

Before I get back in to my regular posting, though, I have to thank my Secret Pal for an incredibly lovely package. I love all of it. The Austermann yarn I fell in love with as soon as I saw it. Of course, I love everything else too. I've been wanting the Knitter's Almanac for a while, so that I can knit the Baby's Sweater for Baby Girl (is it a bad idea to knit a baby sweater in white?). The Toblerone was eaten almost immediately (and then the empty boxes sat on the counter for a few days because I had to get a picture... the Husband kept asking, "is there a reason these are still on the counter?") The keychain is so cute! And look at the card! She either made it or adapted it to include the sheep - either way, she's clearly very clever. Thank you so much Secret Pal!