Saturday, September 16, 2006

Yarn is NOT yarn.



Recently I've taught a few friends how to knit. I'm not a great teacher, but I figure that as long as I can show them how to knit and purl, they're well on their way. I don't know about other people, but when I teach someone how to knit, I really try to downplay what an expensive hobby it is. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I'm pretty thrifty for the most part. I'm one of those people who responds to a clothing compliment with the price of said item.... i.e. -

Friend says, "I love that shirt you're wearing."

I respond, "I got it for $10 from J. Crew! Plus these pants were only $15, which means my entire outfit only costs like $25!"

Hmmm... I just realized that might be a kind of annoying thing to do. Anyway, it's really ironic that I'm willing to pay more for the yarn for a sweater than I would actually pay for a finished sweater.

So, back to my story. I had taught a friend to knit. She was really into it. Fun times. Then, I was talking to her about her progress (she was working on the Harlot poncho pattern - a perfect beginner's pattern, in my opinion). She was telling me about how she went to buy the yarn for it, but she was in a hurry, so she just grabbed something because... and these are her words...

"Yarn is yarn."

Ahhh! No, no, no. Yarn is not yarn. I mean, every yarn has it's purpose. I have used the cheap stuff to make a couple afghans and other sundry low-maintenance stuff myself. But, to equate them all... put them all on the same level? The horror. I'm afraid I may have failed my friend. I mean I taught her to knit and purl, but I didn't teach her anything about the love of a good yarn. And what's knitting without the love of a good yarn?



Anyway, I do have a fo in the blocking stages. It's Rosy from Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora. For some reason it's taking forever to dry. Maybe because of the super dreary weather.