Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Rosy


Pattern: Rosy from Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora.

Yarn: 10 balls of Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora from eBay. That's right... only 10. The pattern calls for 12 for the smallest size, but I only bought 10 AND as it turns out, that's all that I needed! I really thought that I was going to get burned on this one. I usually don't make a habit of purchasing less yarn than a pattern suggests, but this was a special circumstance. I bought the yarn forever ago from eBay and as it happens, I was purchasing the seller's last ten skeins. ($30 for all ten!) So, I thought about going ahead and purchasing another two from someone else, but I decided to wait until I used up what I had purchased already. As it turns out, 10 was more than enough. I just barely hit that tenth ball and definitely have enough leftover to make a baby hat or something. I'm so thrilled. This never happens to me. Usually, I buy the amount the pattern suggests and still run out.

Adjustments: Since this sweater has no finishing, I decided to slip the first stitch of every row along the base and neckline to give the sweater a cleaner edge. I don't think it really makes much of a difference since the edges curl, but I wanted to anyway for my own peace of mind.

Comments: Sometimes I really find stockinette to be a complete bore. But other times, it's like an old friend. In this case, it was like an old friend. I was working on this during a short period of time when I was completely overwhelmed by other things going on in my life. So, having something simple to work on was like having a friend to fall back on. The kind of friend who keeps you company, but doesn't require that you be "on." You don't have to think or try to be entertaining. You just enjoy each others' company.

Second reason I enjoyed knitting this sweater - no finishing. Just seam it up and you're done. No button band. No neck band. Nothing.

Recipient: Me.